UK Settlement
UK Settlement
UK Settlement

Home / UK

Intra-company transfer visa (ICT)

Intra company

(This visa does NOT allow you to settle (indefinite leave to remain) in the UK. You apply for this visa if you’re being transferred by your employer to a role in the UK. You’ll need to have worked for your employer (who should be approved by the Home Office as a sponsor) overseas for more than 12 months unless they’re going to pay you £73,900 a year or more to work in the UK.
You will need to have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK.
Check the list of jobs that are on the list of eligible occupations and be paid at least £41,500.

How long can you stay on an Intra-Company Visa:

  • 5 years in any 6 year period if you’re paid less than £73,900 a year

  • 9 years in any 10 year period if you’re paid £73,900 a year or more

Representative of an Overseas Business visa

You can apply up to three months before traveling as a representative of an overseas business if you’re the sole representative of an overseas business planning to set up either a UK branch or a wholly-owned subsidiary.

This visa lets you stay in the UK for three years, with the possibility to extend to 5 years. At the point of the 5 year period you can apply to settle in the UK – “Indefinite Leave to Remain”.

Please note with this visa you cannot work for another business or yourself – this visa exclusively allows you to represent the business for which you are setting up a UK branch or Subsidiary.

When applying as a sole representative of an overseas business you’ll need to provide:

  • a full description of the business’s activities, including details of assets and accounts. You will probably also need a full business plan for the new subsidiary or branch

  • a letter confirming the overseas business will set up a wholly owned subsidiary or register a branch in the UK in the same business activity as it runs overseas

  • your job description, employment contract and salary details

  • a letter confirming you’re familiar with the business and have the power to take operational decisions

You should also provide evidence that you:

  • are directly employed by the business and are not acting as a sales agent (for example, hired by a business to sell or distribute their products within the UK, but working for yourself and providing your services for a fee)

  • were recruited to the business outside of the UK

  • hold a senior position in the business, with the authority to make decisions on its behalf and set up and run a registered branch or wholly owned subsidiary

  • will be working full time for the business or subsidiary for the duration of your stay and will not carry out any other work

  • do not own or control a majority of the overseas business

Other points to note:

  • You must be able to speak English – there are numerous avenues to prove this.

  • You must be able to financially support yourself

UK overseas

Investor Visa (Tier 1)

Perhaps the most direct and simplest way of moving to the UK is through an Investor Visa. The core requirements for this visa are:

Investor visa
  • You must be able to demonstrate that you can invest £2mn into the UK. You will have to invest the £2mn within 3 months of arriving in the UK.

  • You can come to the UK with a Tier 1 (Investor) visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months.

  • You can apply to extend this visa for another 2 years.

  • You can work or study

When can you apply to permanently settle in the UK? You can apply for “indefinite leave to remain”:

  • after 2 years if you invest £10 million
  • after 3 years if you invest £5 million
  • after 5 years if you invest £2 million

At the time of applying you must be able to show:

  • That you have access to the relevant funds, and where they came from
  • That you have a UK bank account ready to receive the funds. (The bank must be regulated by the FCA)

Other Visa Options

It will not surprise you to know that the UK has a variety of other options, including if you are highly skilled in a particular area such as sports, to be able to apply for a visa. So if you do not fit into one of the categories above but you have a professional opportunity to work in the UK e.g. in the National Health Service (NHS) please do reach out to us and will help you assess your circumstances.